Monday, September 21, 2009

Cartoon Network TKO - Backgrounds

I thought today I would show some of the background art that I did for "Cartoon Network: TKO." I can't seem to find my sketches on these (darn organization) but I am able to show a "set up" version of the scene, and then a blown up view of each layer. The set ups are not quite final, but the layers that you see in the cut-away versions are what made it into the game.

In the final layers, I added a few signs of life. Laundry on the line, some extra business signs, and a few antennae.

As you will notice, simplicity was key. Some of my first ideas were over complicated, and fought with the characters for screen time. I think these simpler, softer approaches really helped the robots pop off screen and allowed the player to focus on what they were supposed to.

On this island setting, I added some indications that there might be a secret base somewhere...

Your typical hydro-electric power plant where robots fight...


So, in a nutshell... simple soft backgrounds with minimal detail allow your characters to pop.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this game. Nice to see how the game came to be.

Joe said...

really nice backgrounds. Love to see the individual pieces.