Monday, October 03, 2011

A Change Of Scenery

Wow... It's been a while.

I eluded to the fact that there were big changes heading my way, and I wasn't kidding. Over the last few weeks, I have transitioned from my job at Cartoon Network in Atlanta, to a new position at Row Sham Bow in Orlando. This is a new studio, packed with unbelievable talent, and it feels like a great fit already. Our first game is in beta right now, and I am very excited about my future here. I will share more about the new digs here on the blog very soon.

Many people have asked why I chose to leave Cartoon Network. I wish I could tell you that it was because I found out my boss was really a pirate, or that I got into a fist fight with both Finn and Jake. Maybe management decided to rent my office out, and then asked me to work on the parking garage. But no, there wasn't anything like that.

Don't get me wrong. Working at Cartoon Network was fantastic. I will cherish my years there as the Art Director of the Games Studio. My team was second to none and worked amazingly well together. I was given so many opportunities and was able to work on many great projects. I made many lifelong friends. I learned more than I ever thought that I could. My family and I enjoyed our time in the Atlanta area.

So why did I leave? I just decided to take a chance. To keep moving. To go where I thought I could be the most creative. To follow my gut. Below are two quotes from Steve Job's 2005 Stanford commencement speech. They have stuck with me since hearing them for the first time several years ago. They really explain it all.

"You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. Because believing that the dots will connect down the road, will give you the confidence to follow your heart - even when it leads you off the well worn path. And that will make all the difference."

And this...

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

The last few years have been great, and I am looking forward to making the next few even greater. I hope to grow both as a person and as an artist. I always dream big, and so far, my life has supported that style of optimism. Once I get fully settled into this new chapter, I will return to this blog and start making a creative mess once again.

I'm ready!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!
Wishing you only the best in your new endeavor, and looking forward to seeing your blog work resume once things settle down. (Because it's always fun.)
Congrats again!

Anonymous said...

I wish i could draw like that, i've been trying for so many years, i'm just not capable... good luck!

Tiago Couto

www.midnightconceiver.com

Pete 'n Stephy said...

I love those quotes, you are very inspiring!!

Congratulations on the new chapter in life!